Last updateMon, 21 Jan 2019 12pm

Expats on hold at INM need permits to travel abroad

Foreigners who plan to travel outside Mexico while their residency visas are en trámite (in process) with the Instituto Nacional de Migración (INM) must obtain authorization ahead of time.

Persons contemplating trips during the Christmas holiday period should take care to apply in an appropriate time frame.

The Permiso de Salida y Regreso (exit-entry permit) applies to travelers who are awaiting resolution of applications filed with INM inside the country’s boundaries.  That includes those requesting renewals for temporary resident (RT) visas, transition from RT to permanent (RP) status, and the switch to definitive resident green cards from temporary 30-day visas obtained at a Mexican consulate.

FM credencial

Exit-entry permits should be requested five days prior to the departure date at the INM branch that is handling the visa procedure, or alternately two or three days in advance at the agency’s airport modules between December16 and January 2, when regular offices are on vacation. Procedural information is posted at www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/permiso-para-salir-y-regresar-a-mexico/INM812.

No Comments Available