Concerts in the Park
December 1, in a special tribute for World AIDS Day in collaborations with Ajijic Cares, the Queen Live Forever Band plays at 3:30 p.m. and Roy Gomez Cruz performs the Freddie Mercury Story at 6 p.m. Tickets, 350 general and 500 pesos VIP, are available at the LCS website using a credit card.
ASA show registration
Ajijic Society of the Arts will conduct registration for their December show on December 3, 9:30 to 11 a.m. at the Cultural Center on the Ajijic Plaza. The show, with the theme “Blue,” will be hung the same day and the reception will be held December 4, 4 to 6 p.m. It will remain up until December 17.
Los Cantantes del Lago
Lakeside’s premier choral group is back from Covid seclusion and ready to sing. Their next series of concerts are Christmas Gingerbread, Tuesdays, December 7 and 14, 7 p.m. and Wednesdays, December 8 and 15, 4 p.m., at Bravo! Theatre in Riberas del Pilar. Music director Tim Welch has selected Christmas favorites with gorgeous arrangements accompanied by piano, harp, flute and clarinet. Masks will be required. Tickets, 350 pesos, are available from It’s Kinda Bazaar, Mia’s Boutique or via Tim Welch and any Cantantes member.
Tickets for the Lake Chapala Community Orchestra (LCCO) Christmas concerts, with star soprano Mariana Vigueras, are now sold out. However, to satisfy demand, the orchestra has added an additional performance on Thursday, December 9, 5:30 p.m. The concert will feature the LCCO’s 15piece chamber ensemble and the newly formed LCCO Brass Quintet.
Michael Reason, the orchestra’s music director, has programmed a concert with the accent on variety.
The performances are at the Lakeside Presbyterian Church, San Jorge 250, Riberas del Pilar.
The orchestra is taking full pandemic precautions. All members of the ensemble are fully vaccinated and they respectfully request that ticket holders have at least one Covid vaccination shot. Audience members will be required to wear masks and temperature checks and socially distanced seating will be in effect.
The next LLT main stage production is “This Random World,” performed December 10-19. Written by Steven Dietz and directed by M.A. Bruneau, this play is presented by special arrangement with Dramatists Play Service Inc, New York, and generously underwritten by Collette Clavadetscher in honor of friends who have passed away. The cast features Louise Ritchie, Shawn Sherwood, Barbara Pruitt, Roxanne Rosenblatt, Mark Nichols, Dani Suder and Linda Goman. Tickets, 300 pesos, available at lakesidelittletheatre.com.
Ballet at Lakeside
Under the direction of Hector Hernandez, the Joven Ballet HH, featuring talented young people between 9 and 16 years of age from Jalisco ballet schools, will perform a gala at Chapinaya Jardin de Eventos, on the Carretera in La Canacinta, Sunday, December 12, 4:30 p.m.
The show will open with a two-minute presentation by eight pre-ballet students who study under maestro Hernandez (father and coach of his two international ballet star sons, Isaac and Esteban Hernandez). The rest of the program will incorporate most of the 15 Joven Ballet dancers. Tickets, 400 pesos, include a beverage, and an intermission will allow audience members to enjoy a snack and cocktail bar. Valet parking will be available and Covid precautions will be taken. Tickets at Lago Travel, Panchos Deli Market (cashiers) and via ballet teacher Ariana Espinoza de los Monteros, 331-088-2546.
Music this weekend
• The Charlie Cook Band will play at Casa Domenech at the LCS, Friday, 5 p.m.
• The Big Little Band with Christy and Elmo perform Friday, 7 to 9 p.m., at Villa Monet Hotel on the Chapala Malecon.
• Tequila Blues performs Friday, 9 p.m., at Bar Camaleon in Ajijic.
• Trafficantes del Ritmo play tunes to kick up your heels to Saturday, 8 p.m., at Scallion Ajijic Bistro.
• Black Sapphire Jazz Sounds entertain Saturday, 8 p.m., at Café La Serenta, on the Carretera in Ajijic
• The Space Cowboys rock on Saturday, November 27, 8 p.m., at the Iron Horse in Riberas del Pilar.
• The Lakeside Funkadelics play at Meraki Bistro, Saturday, 6:30 p.m.
• Jesus and Juan Pablo Medeles present a gentle background of sound 9:30 a.m to 2 p.m., during Sunday Brunch at Casa del Sol Inn, Javier Mina 7, in Ajijic.
• Mike and the Suspects bring on their blues/rock performance Sunday, November 28, 3 to 6 p.m., at El BarCo’s rooftop bar.
• Sweet Harmony performs Sunday, 7 pm. at the Single Friendship Club held at Sol y Luna, Rio Bravo 10 in West Ajijic.