In conversations with North American visitors during Ajijic’s annual Chili Cook-off, several of the questions asked by visitors were surprisingly, refreshingly probing.
One of these kept coming to settlers’ minds. And, of course the key one: How did Guadalajara come to be Guadalajara?
Fittingly, that question was to be tackled by this newspaper (March 13, 1971), or more exactly by the highly-thought-of Mexican historian Luis Perez Verdin in his much-applauded “Histioria Particular del Estado de Jalisco,” back in 1910. It was translated into English in 1971 by Robert Thurston, founder and editor of what was then known as the “Colony Reporter.” But the city’s peripatetic past has to be considered. That’s because the settlement moved itself seven times before it finally truly settled beside the San Juan de Dios River and was known as Compostela.
And the newspaper, now known as the Guadalajara Reporter had as it readers primarily those living in the city of Guadalajara. (Most of the paper’s audience was first found found in the “foreign colony” of Guadalajara, a circumstance that was off and on, approaching the edge of change.) Here, Perez Verdin’s original translation has been fittingly smoothed to fit its later, English-speaking, audience.
One often wonders on reading the old histories of Guadalajara just when it was that the town/city began to take on the pleasing aspect that it bears today (meaning 1971). That clearly wasn’t a certainly in the early 1800s, according to Perez Verdia.