Chili Cookoff called off
The leaders of the 2022 Mexican National Chili Cookoff, as well as the charities involved, have made the difficult decision to cancel the event due to the potential risks from the Covid-19 pandemic.
The board of directors is asking members of the community to step forward to fill roles so the Cookoff can be held in 2023. The position of president also needs to be filled.
The board urges people to support the nine charities that will be greatly impacted by the loss of Cookoff proceeds this year. The charities are: Niños Incapacitados, School for Special Needs Children, Love In Action, Center for Family Development, Cruz Roja Chapala, Niños de Chapala y Ajijic, Casa de Ancianos, Lake Chapala Shrine Club, and Chapala Sunrise Rotary Club.
Daniel Medeles presents “Musica Para Crecer” at the next meeting of Open Circle, Sunday, December 5, 10:30 a.m. at the Lake Chapala Society (LCS). Also known as the San Juan Cosala Children’s Choir and Orchestra, Musica Para Crecer A.C. works with more than 100 local children from five to 18 years of age, helping to build their confidence, encouraging them to remain in school and transforming their lives.
While this is not a concert of holiday music, it will be a fitting finale for the end of the year. This group delights audiences with every performance. Donations will be collected to help the program, which has struggled through these challenging times.
• The Ladies Auxiliary of American Legion Post 7 Chapala hosts a bazaar, Saturday, December 4, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Post, Morelos 114 in Chapala. Tables will rent for 75 pesos. Contact Carol Dugan at 331-720-1723.
• La Bella Vida presents its 13th annual Fiesta de Navidad, Friday and Saturday, December 3 and 4, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Come and meet artists, listen to music and enjoy refreshments while you shop for holiday gifts, decorations and more. Constitucion 6 in Ajijic.
• El Anden design and artisans holds a Christmas Edition Bazaar Friday to Sunday, December 3 to 5, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. outside Pancho’s Deli Market in Riberas del Pilar.
Upstairs, La Estacion Pizza and Bakery will serve as a collection center for new or used blankets and winter coats for families in need. They offer 20-percent off on your bill with a donation.
• Feria Maestros del Arte is putting on a pop-up holiday sale at Kinda Bazar, Hidalgo 86, Riberas de Pilar, Tuesday and Wednesday, December 7 and 8. All sales go directly back to the artisans, who have been hit hard by two years without a Feria due to Covid-19.
Free flu shots
St. Andrew’s Anglican Church is cooperating with the municipality of Chapala to give out free flu shots, Tuesday, December 7, 9.30 a.m. to noon, in the garden of the church, Calle San Lucas 19, in Riberas del Pilar.
The vaccine is Fluzone Sanofi Pasteur quadri-valent. The jabs will be administered by municipal staff and the vaccine provided by the Jalisco Health Department (SSJ).
Call 332-267-6643 for more details.
Kay Borkowski is calling on fully vaccinated carolers to sing at some Lakeside assisted living homes on Thursday, December 16.
Carolers will meet 9:30 a.m. at Christ Church Lakeside. The group will sing at Casa Nostra in Riberas del Pilar at 10:30 a.m., Casa Anastasio in Riberas del Pilar at noon, Mi Casita in San Antonio Tlayacapan at 2:30 p.m. and Ohana’s Independent Living Home in San Juan Cosala at 4 p.m. A lunch break at the Centro Laguna mall food court is planned around 1 p.m.
Sign up now for Lake Chapala Society classes in December. Register and pay at the LCS website or in the office. All classes are for LCS members only.
• Holy Mole! This class by Ana Moreno teaches you how to prepare three kinds of mole. December 15, 10 a.m. to noon.
• Mexican Salsas takes you by the hand to buy the necessary ingredients to make a wide variety of salsas. December 15, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
• It’s been said that no culture does beans like Mexico’s. In this class, learn how to prepare charro, drunken, red, fried, piggy and “with morisqueta” beans; what accompanies them and how to serve them. December 16, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Early next year, the School for Special Children will be holding its annual fundraiser and one of Lakeside’s favorite events, the Behind the Walls Home Tours that allow visitors to view some of the area’s most beautiful and exclusive abodes.
Dates are January 27, February 24 and March 24. Proof of vaccination and masks will be required.
For more information, call Jessie at 376-766-1438 or Mary 376-766-6129.