Howard Willis presents “A Journey of Discovery to Opera in Ajijic” at the next meeting of Open Circle, Sunday, January 30, 10:30 a.m. at the Lake Chapala Society (LCS).
In telling his own story of discovering the beauty of the art in musical theater, Willis hopes to inspire others who have yet to find their own enjoyment in operatic themes and musical compositions. By telling his journey of bringing The Met Opera Live in HD, he hopes to encourage those of you who have embraced the art form to get more involved in the promotion of opera here in our own community.
In the “Third Act” of his presentation, Willis will describe the Chapala Opera Guild’s vision to sustain community Opera with the “Visión Opera Tres Años.”
Willis is a long time resident of Ajijic and Guadalajara. He graduated from the University of Memphis with a B.A. in Literature and a J.D. in law. He went on to a successful business career that included the re-launch of the Holiday Inn hotel brands in Mexico. After selling their businesses in real estate and sign/graphics in Florida, he and spouse Allegra retired to Ajijic in 2018.
The U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara will give a briefing Thursday, February 3, 1 p.m. at American Legion Post 7 in Chapala. Field Investigator Specialist FBU Jose Luis Chavez will provide general information on VA and SSA services, explain the federal benefits unit’s email appointment system, offer international direct deposit information, explain a mandatory policy change of address to all beneficiaries living in Mexico, and will then take questions.
The Lake Chapala Society offers members many classes to make their lives at Lakeside more enjoyable and informed. Sign up now for these popular classes and pay either at the LCS office or online at the LCS website.
• Holy Mole! February 9, noon to 2 p.m.
• Beans, the Musical Fruit, February 10, 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
• From Cacao to the Table, February 11, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Introduction to Lakeside, February 11, via Zoom or on campus, February 21, 9 a.m. to noon.
• El Viaje a Mexico, a Spanish simulation exercise, February 14, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Jalisco Driver License class, February 14, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
• Make Corn Tortillas and Other Masa Dishes, February 16, noon to 2 p.m.
• Traditional Hot Beverages Seminar, February 21, 1to 3 p.m.
• Mexican Salsas, February 23, noon to 1:30 p.m.
• Mushroom Workshop, February 26, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Mexican Homemade Pozole, February 28, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.