Loretta Downs presents “Grief, Gratitude and Grace: Healing from Loss” at the next meeting of Open Circle, Sunday, February 13, 10:30 a.m. at the Lake Chapala Society (LCS).
Downs has a BA in psychology and MA in gerontology. She has worked with people living the end of their lives and the people who love them and survive them, for over 30 years.
Super Bowl Sunday
• American Legion Post 7 Chapala will host a Super Bowl fiesta, Sunday, February 13, 5 p.m. Game time is 5:30 p.m. and the post will stay open to the end of the game. Plenty of happy hour food will be on hand to purchase, and they will have peel and eat shrimp for sale as well. Sign up for one of three football pool boards in the bar: 100 pesos per square, 50 pesos per square and 20 pesos per square. Each board has 100 squares. Lots of ways to win your money back. Stop by the Legion and check out the contest rules on the bar window, or ask Bob Allen for more information.
• Also holding a Super Bowl event is La Bodega Ajijic from 4 to 8 p.m. beer. Margaritas are two for one.
• Mel’s Casa Social is holding a Super Bowl pool party and tequila and mezcal tasting. RSVP: 332-823-1507.
•Juan Mata’s Ranger’s BBQ will be selling his products at the Baptist Church parking lot, Sunday, February 13, from 11 .am. to noon. Information: facebook/RangersBBQ2. Call 331-224-5273.
• Casa del Sol Inn will have a special Valentine’s Sunday brunch, Sunday, February 13, with menu additions of crab Benedict and crab omelettes and a new Chateau Camou Grenache Rose. Reservations: 333-964-5320.
• American Legion Post 7 offers a menu of chicken breast casserole, mashed potato, broccoli salad, bread and dessert on Monday, February 14. Cocktails are at 2 p.m. and dinner at 3 p.m. Music will be by Flashback. The Post will be open until 5 p.m. The usual 50/50 draw, liquor basket and raffle prizes will be available. Tickets are 300 pesos at the post.
• Armando’s celebrates Valentine’s Day with a garden salad, BBQ ribs, flan and a glass of red wine for 250 pesos. Reservations: 333-485-8077.
• Manix offers a Caesar salad, and three dinner options on February 14: linguine with seafood, filet mignon, and Manix cordon blue, served with corn soufflé, stuffed potato, veggie stack and a mango mouse dessert for 450 pesos. Ricardo and Blanca will entertain from 6 to 9 p.m. Reservations: 376-766-0061.
• La Casa di Romeo y Julieta, Paseo Ramon Corona 12, in Chapala, is offering a special menu for Valentine’s Day and entertainment by Anya Vidal.Reservations: 331-255-3226.
• Blue Rose Bistro in Ajijic offers a Valentine’s Day steak and shrimp fest for 490 pesos. Reservations: 376-766-2948.
• The Rondalla de Chapala will hold a Concert for Enamorados at the auditorium of the Centro Cultural Antigua Presidencia, Saturday, February 12, 6 p.m. Cost is 250 pesos.
Helping furry friends
Nancy Diamond will hold a pop-up sale of her designer knits and jewelry at Yves’ Restaurant, Sunday, February 13, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., with 30 percent of all sales going to help the upkeep of Yves’ two pet burros, Vino Blanco and Martini.
This month’s meeting of the Lakeside Freethinkers will start with Donna Steadman giving a brief overview of the obstacles and biases that atheists have historically had to overcome in order to succeed. Attendees will then have an opportunity to talk about their favorite atheists and the contributions to society they have made. This Zoom meeting is Wednesday, February 16, 4 p.m.
The Lakeside Freethinkers define a “freethinker” as a person who identifies himself or herself as an atheist, agnostic, secular humanist, or skeptic. They reject belief in the supernatural and rely on science and reason to guide their lives.
A life remembered
Mama’s Pool Bar in San Antonio is holding a toast to Brandon Jackson’s life Saturday, February 26, 1 p.m. Pot luck appetizers, munchies and finger foods to share.
Donations for Brandon’s considerable medical expenses are being accepted.
Mardi gras fiesta
Feria Maestros del Arte