Lila Wells presents “Lila Wells Reads Again” at Open Circle, Sunday, November 27, 10:30 a.m. at the Lake Chapala Society.
Wells shares the story of “The Snow Goose” by Paul Gallico, a parable on the regenerative power of friendship and love, set against a backdrop of the horror of World War II.
Critics called the book overly sentimental. Gallico made no apologies, saying, “In the contest between sentiment and ‘slime,’ sentiment remains far out in front.”
In 1971, a performance of The Snow Goose was broadcast on BBC television, winning a Golden Globe and an Emmy. It was shown in the U.S. on the Hallmark Hall of Fame.
Wells has acted in community theater from age 16. Since coming to Lakeside in 2015, she has been involved in many aspects of the local theater scene. Her goal with this reading is to make you weep, so bring your hankie.
A health fair will be held Friday, November 25, from 10 a.m. on the Ajijic Plaza. All services are free. A nutritionist and a dermatologist will give consultations; blood pressure and diabetes checks, dengue prevention and HIV information will be available, plus anti-rabies shots for pets. Sponsored by the Centro de Salud Ajijic.
Christmas for Jaltepec
The Centro Educativo Jaltepec and Restaurant La Bodega holds a dinner event, Thursday, December 1, 6 p.m., and a luncheon event, Friday, December 2, noon. Students from Mexico’s only Technical University of Hotel and Hospitality will serve hors d’oeuvres, and a roast turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Music by DJ Wait, plus a no-host bar. A donation of 950 pesos per person will benefit the students.
Dogs in the air
So Chic Boutique holds a Flying Dogs Fashion Show as a fundraiser for Bone Voyage Dog Rescue, Friday, December 2, with doors opening 1 p.m. and the fashion show at 2 p.m. The event is at Rio Zula 4A in West Ajijic (across from D’Shanti Restaurant). Raffle prizes and a cash bar will be part of the show. Tickets, 250 pesos, are available at So Chic Boutique, Ramon Corona 5 in Ajijic centro.
Jocotepec is holding an agricultural products fair, Friday and Saturday, December 2 and 3, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Calle Vicente Guerrero 760, in front of the Christ statue glorieta at the west entrance to town. Local products will be available. Free entrance.
Music to help the kids
Stan Foster presents a Mistletoe Music Magic Christmas Show, Friday, December 9, 5 to 7 p.m. at Scallion Ajijic Bistro to benefit the Saul Rodeles Elementary School in Ajijic. The school is in need of repair, supplies, facilities and volunteers. Music will be traditional, contemporary, country and standards, including Frank Sinatra, Michael Buble, Andy Williams, Ray Charles, Neil Diamond, Luis Armstrong and more. Tickets, 450 pesos, including an appetizer buffet, are available at Scallions. More info: contact Phyllis at WhatsApp: 480-289-0014.
Holiday home tour
The Raquet Club is holding a Holiday Home Tour and Art Show Saturday, December 10, from 2 to 5 p.m. Ten beautiful homes will be open for viewing. Each home owner will guide people through their homes. Refreshments will be served on the terrace, where there will be an art show from 1 to 6 p.m.
Tickets, 300 pesos, are available at the Raquet Club office, where maps to the homes to be toured will be available. Tickets also available at It’s Kinda Bazar, Gosha’s, Trinity Real Estate, Fenix Realty, Mi Casa Real Estate, and Hernandez Realty Group.
Trailblazers pig roast
The Trailblazers of Chapala will hold a pig roast with all the trimmings at Rancho Libertad, Saturday, December 10, 2 to 6 p.m. Rancho Libertad is a unique place where rescued animals safely roam free. Gentle horses provide therapy, including meditation sessions, trail rides from the mountain to the lake, and individual or group riding lessons. Fulfill your childhood dreams of horsemanship. You can also board your horse there.
Come meet the horses and the man who makes it all possible, Napoleon “Napo” Oliveros. Live music by Azul (Denning Chambers and Wayne Watson). The cost for the feast is 300 pesos; beverages for purchase. There will be raffle prizes. Cordonices 121 in Chapala.
• Saturday is Game Day at the Iron Horse Saloon from 3 to 6 p.m. Enjoy dominoes, euchre, darts, skipbo, uno and pool. Free popcorn.
• The Britbrainers hold a night of trivia every Wednesday 6 p.m. at The Cocktail Bar in Ajijic. There’s a wings special with free beer.
• Mama’s Musical Bar is hosting a live version of Family Feud called Mama’s Fun Feud, Tuesdays, 5 to 8 p.m. Teams of six will compete.
• Trivia with Chris is on Tuesdays at the Iron Horse Saloon, 5:30 p.m. Multiple choice, first, second and last place prizes.
• ANAVETS Mexico is sponsoring Euchre at Mama’s Musical Bar in San Antonio, Thursdays, noon. Play is quasi-tournament style, which means you will have a new partner for every game. That way no partner/team will dominate the play and you’ll meet lots of new people. Novice players will be taught the rules and how to play the game.
• Bingo Lago is held every Wednesday, 1 p.m. at El Sombrero Restaurant in Ajijic to benefit the Have Hammer … Will Travel woodworking and industrial arts instruction program.
• Gringo Bingo is on at the Iron Horse Saloon every Thursday from 3 to 6 p.m. and benefits the Lucky Dog Rescue and Adoption Center.
• At Mels Casa Social, every day is a fun day. Ping pong is at noon, Mondays and Thursdays; poker or cards are played at 1 p.m. on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays; a beginners pickleball clinic is on Mondays at 4 p.m. and drop-in pickleball games are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 11 a.m.
Behind the Walls
The School for Special Children is holding its Behind the Walls Home Tours once again this season. See some of Lakeside’s most luxurious homes. Tour dates are December 15, January 26, February 23 and March 23. Tickets, 300 pesos per tour or 1,300 for all the tours, are available at Charter Club Tours, La Bella Vida, Mia’s Boutique. The tours meet at the Ajijic Pier, second parking lot, west of Calle Colon at 10:15 a.m. Masks are required. Information: Jessie, 376-766-1438.