I love being a part of this community that loves life and gives back! We have had so many wonderful events and concerts in our area over the last month.
The Fiesta de Veleros (Cruise in Week) raised over 100,000 pesos that will be donated directly back into our local schools. Thank you to Linda Bello Ruiz for all your hard work!
The Ladies Fiesta hosted by Costalegre Rotary was a huge success. Organized by Irene Petersen and Cheryl Smith, this event raised more money than expected and will be used toward community improvements.
What’s going on
Grand Isla Navidad Resort hosts the Isla Food Fest Tuesday, March 5 to Friday, March 8 and will feature Mexican and international Cuisine.
Galeria Barra de Mi Corazon is open on Miguel Lopez de Legazpi in Barra. The current exhibit features painting by artists from Tomatlan. Contact Linda Bello Ruiz for more information.
United for Barra meets Tuesdays at 9:30 a.m. at the Sunset Bar. This meeting is in Spanish, but volunteers will help with translations at the end of the meeting.
The Rotary Club meets at Cabo Blanco in Barra on Wednesdays at 9 a.m.
• The Viva Maria 1910 Appreciation and Farewell Party on Wednesday, March 6 starts at 6 p.m. There will be lots of live music and dancing.
• The International Women’s Day five-kilometer run takes place in Barra de Navidad on Sunday, March 10. The run starts at 8 a.m. and the cost is 100 pesos. It’s hosted by the Cihuatlan municipal government. Call (315) 106-0680 or (315) 120-0090, ext. 130.
• The Feria del Pescado (Fish Fair) starts at 2 p.m. on Sunday, March 10 on the Malecon in Barra. This event is also hosted by Cihuatlan municipal government.
• Becas por Barra – A Benefit Show is on Monday, March 11, 2-5 p.m. at the Hotel Cabo Blanco. The cost is 100 pesos and all money raised goes toward the scholarship program.
• The closing dance for Carnaval Costalegre 2019 is Tuesday, March 12, 10:30 p.m. in the Jardin in Barra.
• The Skim Board Competition in Melaque hosted by X3M is from March 15-17 and will feature three categories – female, amateur, and beginner.
The band played on ...
For the second year in a row, the malecon in Barra was taken over by the best Santana Tribute Band – Soul Sacrifice. Local restaurants set up tents, tables and chairs to allow comfortable seating for patrons to enjoy drinks, food and conversation.
The stage featured a space for dancing in front of ample seating. The opening band – Hugo and the Blue Notes – got the party started playing all their favorite rock songs. Soul Sacrifice rocked the malecon, playing all the Santana favorites with energy and passion. People danced and sang along, and an amazing 11-year-old boy showed his drum talents as the audience cheered. It was a wonderful party for a great cause.
Soul Sacrifice promotes CASA (Cultura, Arte, Salud, Amor) in Autlan, a community center started by Carlos Santana. Throughout the year they sell raffle tickets to raise funds. A raffle drawing will take place on March 3 and a award presentation on March 5 during the closing ceremony of carnival in Autlan. The prizes are amazing and include a PRS SE Santana guitar ABRAXAS edition autographed by Carlos Santana, 2 VIP ticket for a Carlos Santana concert, and 500 pesos in cash. Tickets cost 100 pesos and are available online at tiopatlanextli.org and at Senor Froy’s Restaurant in Barra. Stop by Senor Froy’s to pick up your ticket today.