Guadalajara to Mexico City is the sixth busiest air route in North America, according to a study published by Routes, one of the world’s leading air service development event organizers.
The busiest route is from Mexico City to Cancun. Almost 3.7 million passengers travelled the 1,294-kilometer journey between the capital’s Benito Juarez Airport and Cancun in the 12-month period between November 1, 2016 and October 31, 2017, putting it at the top of the study’s rankings. The average cost of a ticket was US$72.
Los Angeles International to New York JFK ranked second with 2.8 million people flying between the east and west coast cities. Routes’ research showed that the route is the longest in the top ten at 3,982 kilometers and also the most expensive – a one-way ticket has an average cost of US$338.
The third-busiest route links Mexico City Juarez with Monterrey International Airport, the third largest city in Mexico and the capital of the state of Nuevo León.
The top ten North American air routes are:
1. Mexico City Benito Juarez - Cancun
2. Los Angeles International - New York JFK
3. Mexico City Juarez - Monterrey Mariano Escobedo
4. New York La Guardia - Chicago O’Hare
5. San Francisco - Los Angeles
6. Guadalajara Miguel Hidalgo - Mexico City Benito Juarez
7. Los Angeles - Seattle-Tacoma
8. San Francisco - New York JFK
9. New York La Guardia - Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson
10. Orlando International - Newark Liberty