Residents of Ajijic are warning friends and neighbors to exercise extreme precautions while taking their dogs out for walks or letting them out to roam the streets.
Over the past week at least a half dozen canines suffered life-threatening symptoms after apparently ingesting poisonous substances, reports local sports enthusiast Iván Romero. He indicates that four of the dogs fell ill following outings with their owners on the Tepalo hiking trail. Two more were intoxicated inside the village.
He advises dog owners to keep their mascots on a short leash during outdoor excursions and muzzled if prone to nibbling food scraps. Report confirmed poisonings immediately to the Chapala fire department, 766-5252, and the municipal ecology office, 765-8000.