Jalisco Civil Protection authorities list the following tips among its recommended rainy season precautions:
At home or in the office
• Prune overgrown trees and dead branches that may be vulnerable to storm damage.
• If property is located in danger zone for flooding or landslide, be prepared to evacuate quickly during prolonged or extremely heavy downpours.
• Establish an emergency evacuation plan for family or co-workers.
• Keep on hand a working flashlight, supply of bottled water, non-perishable foods.
• Store personal IDs and other important documents in easily portable, waterproof package.
• If time allows during disaster, disconnect electrical and gas appliances and turn off power.
If caught outdoors in a storm
• Avoid crossing streams and flooded streets during downpours.
• Bypass wet areas near downed power lines.
• Never take refuge under trees during a thunderstorm.
If caught on the road during a severe storm
• Drive slowly, turn on headlights and avoid passing through spots under deep water.
• Pull off to the side and look for a safe parking place, away from sites located under trees, billboards and electrical lines that might fall. Avoid stopping on narrow roads, bridges or curves.
•In case of a break down, turn on emergency blinkers before abandoning the vehicle.