While 2020 has been a rollercoaster of emotions, I prefer to focus on everything to be grateful for.
Beyond the good health of those I love, I believe that living in paradise in the vitamin D-infused sea air is what I’m most grateful for. We get to meet with friends easily outdoors, go to restaurants where workers “follow protocols,” listen to live music, take outdoor Spanish classes, see fireworks around the bay, watch whales breach from the beach or onboard a boat, or simply walk along the beach for exercise.
Christmas is about giving to children, which brings me joy. Santa Claus recruits help for two different causes: the Bucerias children of the Manos de Amor orphanage and the children of La Cruz.
Folks can donate gifts by delivering them to the Marina Riviera Nayarit Yacht Club for the orphanage, and to Britannia Pub or the Tree House Bar and Grill for the kids in La Cruz.
In La Cruz, children will circle the block in hopes of a glimpse of Santa and to receive their gifts, at the Tree House Bar, starting 5 p.m. on Christmas Eve.
Both the La Cruz Marina Sunday Market and the Forever Spring Wednesday market (at La Comer) have everything you will need for Christmas gift giving, from jewelry to clothing to handmade purses and more. Get fresh ingredients there for your holiday meals as well.
Jan Marie Boutique Gallery in Bucerias is open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., welcoming shoppers before or after dinner. The gallery also participates in the Bucerias Art Walk every Thursday. Stop by and check out this season’s new items.
Sandrina’s Bucerias Boutique (at the restaurant) offers blown glass, art, clothing, and so much more.
Sunday by the pool
Los Arroyos Verde will close out 2020 with its final “Sunday by the pool” event. Live music and delicious BBQ ribs await you on December 20. Hosted by La Patagonia restaurant, you can dance poolside to live music by Mexican percussionist Aniela Batres. Open 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Music starts at 3 p.m. Cost: 500 pesos; book in advance.
Christmas dinner options
• Dine at the La Cruz Inn while enjoying the dancing horse show.
• After celebrating with the wee ones and Santa, enjoy a turkey buffet dinner for 350 pesos at the Tree House Bar and Grill.
• Make merry with live music and margaritas on the house with your Christmas special menu at Masala.
•Luna Lounge is serving turkey dinner along with their Christmas “Elvis” show on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
• Armi’s Encore is serving three, three-course dinner options: a turkey dinner, 450 pesos; a salmon/prawn dinner, 600 pesos; or vegetarian dinner, 400 pesos. Live music by Armi Grano and Gerry Palken. Pick up orders are also available; call 329-298-0140.
New Year’s dinner options
• Sandrina’s is serving special meals on both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. It is also serving Mediterranean cuisine with Greek specialties daily.
• New Year’s Eve is always a celebration at Mark’s, with delicious food, friends, music and dancing. The first seating will be at 4 p.m. Enjoy the six-course menu on the garden patio under the stars or inside dining with open air and sea breezes. Music is from their New Year’s playlist. A deposit of 250 pesos is required per person to confirm your table.
• La Postal will have two seatings: 6 to 8 p.m., 500 pesos with no alcoholic drinks, and 950 pesos for open bar; and 10 p.m. to 1:30 a.m., 800 pesos with no alcoholic drinks, and 1,250 pesos for open bar.
• Enjoy live music at Masala with margaritas on the house with your special New Years Eve menu.
• Tree House Bar and Grill hosts a New Year’s Eve dinner and music show with Spencer Day and Zoe Wood. Cost, 700 pesos, includes buffet dinner and the show.
• La Peska will have a special menu for New Year’s Eve.