My new motto is, “When life gives us restrictions, try something new.” Recently, another’s passion ignited a flame in me to share his story!
Frank Gardiner, aka “Pancho Tequila,” is a “retired but never old” fun loving retired broadcast executive from Toronto who really enjoys the sport of lawn bowling in Canada — and now in Bucerias, Nayarit. He believes passionately in “fair play for all!” Pancho Tequila believes sharing this will broaden the image of lawn bowling for “kids of all ages“ and the healthy and charitable aspects of this fun, family outdoor sport!
He has created a lawn bowling organization so that bowlers will bring their own balls next winter to Bucerias. Currently, the games take place Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9 to 11 a.m. at the amazing soccer field on the highway just outside Bucerias on the way to MEGA.The owner of this awesome soccer field is Martin Benitez. “We are very thankful to Martin for allowing us to test his soccer field for future lawn bowling,” says Frank.
Current members are mostly Canadians and Americans, age 50-plus, who are visiting the area. There is no charge except for tipping the caretaker after playing. “We are in a test and trial mode with limited equipment,” says Frank.
Frank was inspired to create the lawn bowling organization when playing Bocci Ball on the beach. His mission is to bring winter lawn bowling to lawn bowlers in Canada, the U.S. and beyond who’d love to travel to our piece of paradise.
If you’ve noticed that some events have been cancelled, check again, as many have been rescheduled.
Bucerias as always has something for everyone.
• Los Arroyos Verdes in Bucerias has rescheduled their many concerts and their pool parties with fabulous food, poolside lounging. It is where the bands playing “in the pool” are the best.
• Jax bar continues to be the “go to” music and dancing venue.
• Yoyo Mo’s for sports, fabulous chicken wings and pizza.
• The art district on Lazlo Cardenas brings you all the best of art and dining including the Thursday night Art Walk where treasures await.
• Reserve at Encore for live Bossa Nova Jazz.
• If you’re a sunset watcher like me, Karen’s on the beach is paradise with delicious food and various music options most nights of the week. Walk the beach to find live music and dancing in the sand.
Listen and peek into restaurant doors to experience live music in La Cruz. Sometimes pre-planned. Often a traveling band pops up and every now and then a spontaneous jam breaks out.
• The La Cruz Inn has their rooftop music again on various evenings and the dancing horses on Friday night.
• Concerts in the open air continue at the Tree House Bar and Grill in La Cruz including Amy Armstrong, Us Too, the Dancing Band Orchestra, Cheko Ruiz, The Bay Roots, Media Luna, Sweet and Spicy, Black Tequila, and so much more! There truly is music for all. Having recently celebrated many fiestas there I highly recommend booking your next event at the Tree House.
• Live music Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons with The Remedy is at the Marina Bar and Grill, formerly Oso’s.
• The Britannia pub in La Cruz has Monday game night, Tuesday open mic with musical group The Turn, Wednesday afternoon Bingo and Thursday game night.
• Take dance classes or yoga at the Octopus’ Garden and always enjoy the café where they now offer breakfast. Purchase their freshly roasted organic Nayarit coffee beans or let them create a latte or espresso to your liking to enjoy in the moment.
• Ballena Blanca has had many musical guests recently. You can dine on their enticing Mexican offerings.
• The Green Tomato has folks raving about their Sunday afternoon live music.
• The Sunday artisans market in La Cruz is back to normal with all vendors in attendance; please support small business. Visit from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and remember your masks.
Do a walk about. The entire North Banderas Bay has hidden surprises, whether seaside treasure hunting, pop up music, dynamite new taco/food stands and so much more. As I tell my guests: “Look up, look down, look all around; you never know what you’ll find!”