Efren Gonzalez will hold a Day of the Dead art auction Thursday, October 12, 4 p.m. on the north side of the Ajijic Plaza. Find oils, watercolors, acrylics, photography and more. Tequila will be served.
The artworks will be on display as of 10 a.m.
Melody Peterson will hold a mask-making workshop, Friday, October 13, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Garden at La Bella Vida, Constitucion 6, Ajijic. Decorate two or more masks and enjoy a few hours in the Garden at La Bella Vida. Fun and creative. All supplies included. The cost is 500 pesos. Reserve at 376-766-5131 or labellavidamx@ gmail.com.
BRAVO! Theatre will screen “The Sound of Music” October 13-15, 4 p.m. This event will include audience participation, including a costume contest, a movie props bag and a sing-along. The cost is 300 pesos. Reserve at mymytickets@ gmail.com.
LLT main stage
Dave Mcintosh directs Brian Fuqua and Wayne Waterman in “Red,” a play by John Logan opening at the Lakeside Little Theatre October 20 and running through October 29.
Winner of six Tony Awards, “Red” is a compelling bio-drama of one of the most influential artists of the 20th Century—the abstract expressionist Mark Rothko. The play takes you inside Rothko’s studio where as he works on a series of murals for a prestigious restaurant, he faces a challenge from his young assistant, who questions his artistic choices and motives.
In 1958, Rothko is at the top of his game, gaining in popularity and receiving generous commissions. Yet beneath the surface it is not popularity he seeks. He strives to be significant. “Red” is an intelligent, powerful, thought-provoking analysis of a brilliant free spirit of art. The play explores the meaning of contemporary art, life and color, as well as a genius’ personal struggles and conflicts. Rothko was an intense and erratic artist, who took his own life some ten years after the play ends.
Fun is back!
The 11th annual lip sync show to benefit the Auditorio de la Ribera is scheduled for November 3, 4 and 5. The show this year is dance heavy, featuring the Hernandez troupe from Guadalajara, the talented Roy Haynes and local dancers. Keeping with the international theme of the show will be lip sync from Mozart’s “The Magic Flute” (yes, really), tributes to Tina Turner, Mexican ballads, American musical theater and videos from Ajijic’s own Ed Tasca. The entrance price is 250 pesos and tickets can be purchased via the Auditorio website voyalteatro.com (I’m going to the Theatre).
• An exhibition of works by Neal Smith Willow entitled “Fragments of Time” is at Hotel Boutique Sol y Luna at Rio Bravo 10 in Ajijic. The opening for the show will be Saturday, October 7, from 4 to 6 p.m.
• Artist Leonardo Gonzalez Galindo, the son of Efren Gonzalez, is exhibiting his colorful oil paintings at Restaurante Elegante at Constitucion 59 in Ajijic. In addition, artist Tim Mize will be exhibiting limited editions of his colorful screen prints. Exhibition ends November 15.
• Galeria Monica Cardenas and Galeria Marisa Martinez hold an art exhibition at Pancho’s West Restaurant and Gallery. Works by Luci Williams, Antonio Lopez Vega, Monica Cardenas, Claudia Nery, David Lorenz Winston, Beth Myers, Xill Fessenden and April Duran will be displayed.
• Original paintings for the 2024 Our Beloved Mexico Calendar by Belva and Enrique Velazquez are now on display at Arte Estudio Velazquez, 16 de Septiembre 7 in Ajijic. The calendars are now available for sale. Personalized artist signing of the calendars will be held Wednesday, October 25, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Thursday, October 26, 4 to 7 p.m.
• The Jersey Boys, starring Marc Lopez, perform Tuesday, October 10, with shows at 2:30 and 5:30 p.m. at the Lake Chapala Society. Tickets, 350 general seating and 500 pesos VIP seating, are available at the LCS office Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. or at lakechapalasociety.com.
• Tommy Banks and the Soul Investors and the Gary Lanz Band will perform at the Ajijic Spot Stage, Friday, October 13, 6 p.m. Tickets, 350 pesos, are available at the door. To reserve a table, call 376-766-0039. This venue is in the back of the Restaurant El Jardin on the plaza in Ajijic.
• The Rondalla de Chapala, the Rondalla Femenil de Chapala and the Rondalla Generaciones will perform at the Centro Cultural Antigua Presidencia in Chapala, Saturday, October 14, 6 p.m. Tickets, 200 pesos, are available at the venue. Corner of Hidalgo and Madero; open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Region Rock, an acoustic rock band plays at Chatterley’s Sunday, October 15, 6 p.m. Enjoy 2 for 1 happy hour on beer, mimosas and margaritas. Zaragoza 307B, Chapala.
• The Original Tall Boys will play At Pancho’s Deli Market in West Ajijic in the upstairs bar, Monday, October 16, 5:30 p.m. Elevator access, plenty of parking.
• Soprano Estefania Aviles and mezzo-soprano Vanessa Jara join with pianist Rodrigo Leal and violinist Esmiralda Mironova for an Opera Gala at the Centro Para la Cultura y Las Artes de la Ribera, November 25, 6 p.m. Advance purchased tickets are 220 pesos at the box office Wednesday and Thursday, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4 to 7 p.m.