Efren Gonzalez holds an art auction to benefit the Ajijic Museo de Arte Wednesday, December 29, 3:30 p.m. on the Ajijic Plaza.
Lakeside Little Theatre opens auditions for the musical “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Theatre” on January 7.
The Met Opera
The next performance of The Met Opera Live in HD at Movie Space Cinemas will be “Cinderella” Saturday, January 8, 11:55 p.m.
Produced by Jules Massenet, Laurent Pelly’s storybook staging of Massenet’s “Cendrillon,” a hit of the 2017-18 season, is presented with an all-new English translation in an abridged 90-minute adaptation, with mezzo-soprano Isabel Leonard as its rags-to-riches princess. Maestro Emmanuel Villaume leads a delightful cast, which includes mezzo-soprano Emily D’Angelo as Cinderella’s Prince Charming, soprano Jessica Pratt as her Fairy Godmother, and mezzo-soprano Stephanie Blythe and bass-baritone Laurent Naouri as her feuding guardians.
Tickets at Movie Space Cinemas. Information at chapalaoperaguild.org; FB/The Met Opera en Ajijic.
Concerts in the Park
Concerts in the Park at the Lake Chapala Society presents boy band cover group The Boy Band Project, Sunday, January 9, with shows at 2:30 and 5:30 p.m. The group is an energy-ridden band complete with Broadway credits and covers boy bands from the 1990s, such as Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block, O-Town, 98 Degrees, Boyz II Men, NSYNC and beyond, including One Direction, The Four Seasons, The Jackson Five, The Beach Boys and The Bee Gees. The group’s shows are interactive and nostalgic as well as funny and entertaining.
Maru Prado Conti presents a one-concert tribute to Lady Gaga, Sunday, January 16, 6 p.m., and Dwight Bake will present a Motown tribute Sunday, January 23, with concerts at 2:30 and 5 p.m.
Tickets are available at the LCS website and in the office.
LLT mask policy
Lakeside Little Theatre requires that you wear a mask correctly over your mouth and nose indoors at the theater.
While they do not have a mask police, the house managers, box office and bar personnel, as well as the show’s cast and crew, are encouraged to keep alert and to report those who take their masks off or pull them down in the lobby and auditorium, especially once the play has begun. The house manager is ultimately responsible for mask compliance.
Recently, some patrons who were not willing to comply were asked to leave the theater. Although LLT is a private organization, it is a public space and adheres to Jalisco guidelines.
LLT says it does not want to jeopardize its livelihood nor the health and safety of all due to the inconsiderate actions of a few.
Oil painting classes
Efren Gonzalez offers an oil painting workshop, January 4 to 7, with the goal of creating one painting per day. All materials are included. Call 331-703-3942 for information.
• The Little Big Band plays 4to Sentido Restaurant in Chula Vista, 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
• The Charlie Cook band plays El Patio Restaurant in Chapala, 5 to 7:30 p.m.
• Blue Velvet Jazz Trio performs at La Vita Bella Hotel/Restaurant, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Jonathan Guzman entertains at Adelita Bar and Grill, 6 to 8 p.m.
• The Jazz Duet with Juan Castañon and David Perez are at Huerto Cafe, noon.
• Hector Uribe entertains at La Cima del Copal on the mountainside of restaurant row just before San Juan Cosala, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.
• Christy, Elmo and the Little Big Band perform at Villa Monet Hotel on the Chapala Malecon, 7 to 9 p.m.
• Sweet Harmony play at La Bodega’s New Year’s Eve dinner-show, 9 p.m.
• Trafficantes del Ritmo play Adelita Bar and Grill in San Antonio, 8 p.m.
• The Iron Horse celebrates owner Trevor’s birthday with Daniel Cordero and Old Souls, beginning 3 p.m.
• Jesus and Juan Pablo Medeles make your brunch that much more enjoyable at Casa del Sol Inn, 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Gary Lanz Band with David Calvario and Alex Medeles rocks out at Scallion Ajijic Bistro 7 p.m.