Melodies and improv
Sofia Ramirez on piano and vocals, Eleazar “Chuco” Soto on sax and singer Ari Loyola perform Friday, April 8, 7:30 p.m. at la Cochera Cultural, Javier Mina 49, Ajijic.
A double photography show opening Saturday, April 9, 7 p.m., at the Jocotepec cultural center next to the plaza, includes the 20-woman photography collective Mirada Tapatía and Lakeside photographer Martha Arraiga.
Concerts in the Park
The Lake Chapala Society (LCS) Concerts in the Park series presents:
• Christy Caldwell, Linaje Bohemio and Douglas Voet perform Beloved Songs from Hollywood Sunday, April 24, with shows at 2:30 and 5 p.m.
Tickets are available at the LCS office or via the LCS website.
ASA Spring Show
Ajijic Society of the Arts (ASA) opens its Spring show April 20, 6 to 9 p.m. at the Centro Cultural Ajijic (CCA). Refreshments will be served and Kristina Trejo will perform. The art will be hung through April 26, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m..
This is a judged show and ribbons will be awarded for “Best” in each genre submitted. The theme is “Habitat” to complement the Earth Day celebration that is taking place at the CCA and on the plaza during the same dates.
ASA members are encouraged to submit pieces that embody Earth, nature, the environment, climate issues, etc.
A mini show of “Habitat” themed photography from the Lakeside Shutterbugs and a show of “Habitat” themed art from the neighborhood children—who attend art classes at both the Cochera Cultural in Ajijic and at the gallery of Isidro Xilotl in San Juan Cosala—will be part of the Spring Show.
The Cochera Cultural presents “Inhabiting La Michi-Cihualli” a new contemporary multidiscipline live performance including music, dance and video mixes, Wednesday and Thursday, April 20 and 21, 7 p.m., at the Lakeside Little Theatre.
Choreography and creative direction is by Leonor Zertuche, composition and musical direction by Eleazar Soto, video art and live visuals by Paty Green, dance and interpretation by Mariajose Medeles.Musicians include Juanpi Medeles on violin, Miguel Soto on percussion, Gilberto Rios on bass and Ari Loyola on vocals. Creative inspiration is by Antonio Lopez Vega, general production by Jennifer Stanley, production design by Emilia Galvez and lighting design by Thom Weeks.
All proceeds will be used to benefit the artistic and musical education programs at La Cochera.
Bare Stage Theatre
April’s production at Bare Stage Theatre is a return to another great comedy by Norm Foster, considered to be Canada’s most produced playwright and frequently compared to U.S. playwright Neil Simon for penning plays that are known for their humor, accessibility and insight into the everyday tribulations of life.
“The Long Weekend” delivers non-stop mischievous fun and scrumptious plot twists. Successful lawyer Max and his wife Wynn are about to show off their beautiful new cottage-country home in Ontario to their best friends, Roger and Abby. What is meant to be a relaxing holiday weekend turns into a battle of wits as their pasts catch up with them. A hilariously tangled web of truths, deception and surprises leaves the audience guessing—and laughing—all the way to the final curtain.
Bare Stage is located at Carretera 261 in Riberas del Pilar across from the Catholic church. Door and bar open at 3 p.m. Seats are held until 3:50 p.m. Masks are still mandatory but curtains will be open for air flow. Facebook/barestagetheatre2018.
Sydney Gay is opening auditions for a community theatre event. Bring five-minute true stories about your life to rehearse them for performances to be held in the fall and winter season of 2022 to help benefit local charities.
The auditions will be held in May, June and July in a beautiful location near the Tuesday Market.
LLT season 58
The Lakeside Little Theatre has chosen productions for the 2022-2023 season.
• September 30 to October 9, 2022, “The Revolutionists,” a comedy by Lauren Gunderson, will be directed by Russell Mack.
• November 4 to 13, 2022, “The Taming of the Shrew” a comedy by William Shakespeare, will be directed by David Goldman.
• January 13 to 22, 2023, “The Quality of Life,” a drama/comedy by Jane Anderson, will be directed by Collette Clavadetscher.
• February 17-28, 2023, “Side by Side by Lakeside,” a musical with song, dance and humor, will be directed by Dave McIntosh with music by Ann Swiston.
• March 24 to April 2, 2023, “33 Variations,” a drama by Moisés Kaufman, will be directed by Suki O’Brien.
Season tickets will be available for sale in late summer. See more at lakesidelittletheatre.com.
Music around the Lake
• Roxy Lagreca and Los Arcade play the Iron Horse Saloon, Friday, April 8, 8:30 p.m.
• Flashback perform at El BarCo’s rooftop patio, Saturday, April 9, 3:30 p.m.
• Los Profugos Rock Project are at Camalsion Bar, Constitucion 29, Ajijic, Saturday, April 9, 9 p.m.
• The Romeos will play El BarCo, Sunday, April 10, 3 p.m. Cover 80 pesos.