The Artists Alliance of Lake Chapala Art Market is on for Saturday, September 16, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Garden of Dreams Boutique Hotel, Constitucion 105 in Ajijic.
More than 50 artists including a special collection of Neill James Legacy Artists, will be there with a variety of mediums. A taco and tamale bar will be available for lunch. Three sets of live music. No cost to enter.
Well-known Panamanian singer Diana Villamonte performs “Soul Divas” at the Lake Chapala Society, Sunday, September 17, 5:30 p.m. Tickets, 350 pesos general, 500 pesos VIP, are available at lakechapalasociety.com.
“Girls Night Out,” a sketch comedy directed by Roy Haynes, is part of a dinner/show Friday, September 22, at Mama’s Musical Bar, González Gallo 86 in San Antonio Tlayacapan. Tickets, 300 pesos, are available at 332-154-8276.
Huerto Café in Riberas del Pilar will hold a John Coltrane anniversary concert Sunday, September 23, 1:30 p.m. Musicians include Diego Franco on sax, Marc Fabricatore on piano, Juan Castañon on guitar, Freddy Adrian on bass and Giovanni Figueroa on drums. Tickets are 150 pesos. Reservations: 376-108-0843.
One man show
“The Shrink,” a drama/comedy about a psychiatrist who needs a psychiatrist, plays Saturday, September 23, 5 p.m. at the Centro para La Cultura y Las Artes. This one-man, seven-role, one-act show is a benefit for Mama Cleo’s Boys Home. Tickets, 300 pesos, are available at the door or at the theater, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. or 4 to 7 p.m.
• The 12th edition of Foto Ajijic Septiembre 2023 continues at the Centro Cultural Ajijic through September 28, 5 p.m. Meet local photographers and see their art; 23 local photographers will be exhibited.
• “The Soulful Illusions,” a retrospective exhibit by photographer Monica Cardenas, is up at Casa del Sol Inn, Javier Mina 7 in Ajijic.
• The Ajijic Museo de Arte (AMA) continues with an exhibit of paintings on loan or acquired for the permanent collection, that are on display for the first time. The museum also temporarily exhibits works by several local artists, including Isidro Xilonxochitl, Maloy Otis Murdock and Elaines Frenett.
AMA is at Privada Flores Magon 3, Open daily except Mondays. The entry fee is 40 pesos.
Francisco Urzua (left) creates his original weavings on the ancient colonial looms that have been passed down to him from his family of Jocotepec weavers. See them at weaving partner Janice Kimball’s Penthouse Gallery, which is hosting a yearly inventory sale through September 22 with 10- to 40-percent off. Open Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Carretera Pte. 232 in West Ajijic, between Blue Rose and Yves’.
The Jersey Boys
The Jersey Boys, starring Marc Lopez, perform “Who Loves Ya Baby?,” “Sweet Caroline,” “Big Girls Don’t Cry,” and more Tuesday, October 10, with shows at 2:30 and 5:30 p.m. at the Lake Chapala Society. Tickets, 350 general seating and 500 pesos VIP seating, are available at the LCS office Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. or at lakechapalasociety.com.
Tablao Flamenco is the most intimate and spontaneous form of flamenco. Two highly trained dancers, Sofia Arce and Rodrigo Robles, perform together for the first time at la Cochera Cultural, Sunday, September 17, 6:30 p.m. They will be accompanied by Fernando Martinez on flamenco guitar, Emilia Galvez on cajon and vocalist Santiago Maiterra. Tickets, 350 pesos, can be reserved at info@ cocheracultural.org.
• Gala Mexicana: Mariachi Real Axixic, 4:30-6:30 p.m. at 4to Sentido (550 pesos).
• Mexican Fiesta: Old Souls, 6:30 p.m. and Los Traficantes, 9 p.m. at Scallion Ajijic (390 pesos).
• Fiesta Mexicana: Ameniza Trio Musican de Chapala, 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Casa Linda (220 pesos).
• King Pachuco, 6 p.m. at Mario’s Wings Time (80 pesos).
• Tekila Blues & Roll, 8:30 p.m., at El BarCo (100 pesos).
• The Romeos, 3 p.m., on the skybar at El BarCo (100 pesos).
• Gary Lanz Band, 5:30 p.m. at Iron Horse Saloon (100 pesos).
• Sofia Ramirez Jazz Trio, 8:30 p.m. at Pasta Trenta.
• Divas Divinas/Piano Bar, ‘70s and ‘80s music, 7 to 10 p.m. at La Estacion.
• Cuban singerVictor Valdez, 7 to 9 p.m., Restaurant El Patio.
• Traficantes Rock’N’Latin, 7:30 p.m. at Scallion Ajijic.
• Tommy Banks and the Soul Investors, September 21, 7:30 p.m. at El BarCo.
• Tito Gonzalez September 22, 6 to 8 p.m. at American Legion Post 7.
• John Coltrane concert, September 23, 1:30 p.m. at Huerto Café.
• Blue Jay Slim and the Blues Machine, September 23, 3 p.m., at El BarCo.
• Ray Domenech Music Bash, September 25, 5 p.m. at Independencia 37A, Ajijic.
• Manuel Orozco Rock, September 30, 3 p.m. at Calle La Puerta Nueva and the lake.
Three local romantic instrumental and singing sensations, the Rondalla de Chapala, the Rondalla Femenil de Chapala and the Rondalla Generaciones, will perform at a romantic festival of music at the Auditorium of the Centro Cultural Antigua Presidencia in Chapala, Saturday, October 14, 6 p.m. Tickets, 200 pesos, are available at the venue. Corner of Hidalgo and Madero; open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.